Have you ever dreamed of turning your love of travel into a full-time job? If so, travel blogging might be the perfect career for you! Whether you’re an experienced traveler or a newbie, starting a travel blog is a great way to share your adventures with the world and inspire others to see more of what this amazing planet has to offer.
But where do you start? Here are seven easy steps to get you on your way to becoming a successful travel blogger:
Step 1: Find Your Niche 🔍
The first step to starting a successful travel blog is to find your niche. What sets your blog apart from all the others out there? Do you have a particular destination or type of travel that you specialize in? Maybe you’re an expert on budget travel or luxury vacations. Or perhaps you have a unique perspective or style of writing that sets you apart. Whatever it is, finding your niche is crucial to attracting and retaining an engaged audience.
Here are a few useful links on how you can find your niche:
- This blog post from has some great tips on how to find your niche as a travel blogger: https://candaceabroad.com/travel-blog-niche-how-to-choose-the-perfect-travel-niche-for-your-blog/
- Check out this video for some more advice on finding your niche as a travel blogger: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XpYifbwUD7o
Step 2: Choose a Blogging Platform 💻
There are several different platforms available for starting a travel blog, including WordPress, Blogger, and Squarespace. Each has its own pros and cons, so it’s important to do your research and choose the one that best fits your needs. Some platforms are easier to use than others, while some offer more customization options. Consider factors like cost, ease of use, and the level of technical expertise required before making your decision.
Some tips on how to choose blogging platform:
- This blog post has a comparison of the different blogging platforms available and their pros and cons: https://www.elledecor.com/shopping/best-stores/news/a3383/the-pros-cons-of-blogging-a-70424/
- Check out this video for some tips on choosing the best blogging platform for your needs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRzqvZJlbfc
Step 3: Choose a Domain Name and Hosting Provider 🌍
Your domain name is the URL of your blog, such as www.mytravelblog.com. Choosing a good domain name is important because it’s how people will find and remember your blog. Make it catchy and memorable, but also make sure it’s easy to spell and type. As for hosting, this is where your blog will be stored and made available to the world. There are many hosting providers to choose from, so do your research and find one that meets your needs and budget.
Choosing Domain name and hosing provider is very important, here are few useful links:
- This blog post has some great tips on choosing a domain name for your travel blog: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76clhaNAf6U
- This blog post from GoDaddy has some helpful advice on choosing a hosting provider: https://www.godaddy.com/garage/smallbusiness/launch/choose-a-web-host/
Step 4: Start Writing 📝
Now it’s time to start writing! Whether you’re sharing your travel experiences, offering travel tips, or simply sharing your love of a particular destination, make sure your writing is engaging and authentic. Use your own voice and let your personality shine through. And don’t be afraid to be vulnerable – sharing your struggles and challenges can be just as powerful as sharing your triumphs.
Here are few tips on how to start writing, for me it was the best one that helped me a lot:
- This blog post from has some great tips on how to write an engaging travel blog: https://vickyflipfloptravels.com/travel-blogger-what-to-write-about/
- Check out this video for some advice on finding your writing style as a travel blogger: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_exo-77OeQ
Step 5: Use Quality Photos and Videos 📸
Visual content is crucial to a successful travel blog. Not only do good photos and videos make your blog more visually appealing, they also help to tell your story and bring your destination to life. Use a high-quality camera and take lots of photos and videos during your travels. And don’t forget to get permission before including any photos or videos of other people in your blog.
Here you can find good quality photos and videos:
- Check out this video for some tips on using videos in your travel blog: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z3-Gw_o3h-k
- This blog post has some great tips on how to take better travel photos:
Step 6: Engage with Your Audience 🗣️
Blogging is a two way conversation, so make sure to engage with your audience. Respond to comments, interact with other bloggers and travel industry professionals, and use social media to share your blog and connect with your followers. This will not only help to grow your audience, but it will also help to establish you as a respected and influential voice in the travel community.
Make sure you engage your audience, here are some tips for you:
- This blog post has some great tips on how to engage with your audience and build a community around your blog: https://www.hamilton.edu/academics/centers/oralcommunication/guides/how-to-engage-your-audience-and-keep-them-with-you
- Check out this video for some advice on using social media to connect with your audience:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXJwpXHCktc
Step 7: Monetize Your Blog 💰
Once you’ve built up a strong following, it’s time to start thinking about monetizing your blog. There are several ways to do this, including sponsored posts, affiliate marketing, and selling your own products or services. Just be sure to be transparent with your audience and always disclose any sponsored content or partnerships.
With these seven easy steps, you’ll be well on your way to becoming a successful travel blogger! Just remember to be patient and consistent, and always stay true to your passion for travel. Happy blogging!
And make sure you monetize your blog:
- This blog post has some great tips on how to monetize your travel blog: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qE1N–ulzOo
- This blog post from Make a Living Writing has some helpful advice on how to find sponsored content opportunities: https://blog.hubspot.com/marketing/sponsored-content-that-doesnt-suck